Electric motor test and monitoring solutions
Looking for Baker Instrument Company? We are now part of Megger!
Baker Instruments’ electric motor analysers fall into three categories:
- Static analysers are used on off-line motors and generators to test motor circuit and insulation condition.
- Dynamic analysers are used for monitoring on-line motors to capture power quality, motor condition and load issues.
- Electric motor QC systems are designed for motor, generator and coil manufacturers to test the insulation and other parameters of coils, stators and armatures rapidly and repeatably in a production context.
Static electric motor analysers
STATIC MOTOR ANALYSER
- Range includes 2 kV, 4 kV, 6 kV and 12 kV models
- Testing capabilities include: surge, winding resistance, Megohm, PI, DA, continuous ramp DC step-voltage, and DC hipot tests
- 12 kV HO (high-output) version for performing surge tests on large motors and generators
- Compatible with Baker PPX Power Packs to extend insulation testing voltage range (6 kV, 12 kV and 12 kV HO versions only)
- IEEE- and IEC-compliant surge test
- Surge waveform comparison by the patented Pulse to Pulse Error Area Ratio (PP-EAR) technique
- Incorporates advanced inter-turn assessment capabilities in a field portable instrument
- Microsoft Windows 7 Embedded operating system
- USB port for data transfer and printing with Windows 7 plug-and-play printers
STATIC MOTOR ANALYSER
- Comprehensive range of tests in one instrument
- Configurable to meet needs and price point
- 4 kV to 12 kV for wide spectrum of motors and coils
- Compatible with the Baker PPX Power Packs for testing up to 40 kV
- High and low voltage tests to characterize circuits and insulation
- Coil mode for rapid testing and data storage
Baker PPX Power Packs
STATIC MOTOR ANALYSER BOOSTER
- Used to extend insulation testing range of AWA-IV static motor analysers and DX analysers
- Test voltages from 5 kV to 40 kV
- Available in three models (PPX30, PPX40, PPX30A)
- Mobile, large-wheeled cabinet for easy transport to the test area
- AC outlet on cabinet for the host unit (i.e., AWA-IV or DX), as well as lead storage
- Baker PPX30A includes an internal armature test circuit built in for testing large DC motors. When in armature mode, test voltage is limited to 2100 V and the current available is increased up to 7000 A.
- Complete range of tests (surge, winding resistance, Megohm (PI, DA), continuous ramp DC step-voltage, and DC hipot tests).
Dynamic electric motor analysers
DYNAMIC MOTOR ANALYSER
- Monitors and assesses conditions across a running “machine system” that impact the health and performance of the motor within the system
- Evaluates the quality of incoming power fed to motor
- Assesses motor performance indicators
- Tracks the amount and condition of load placed on the motor
- Instrument connection options: at a motor junction box, at the instrumentation cabinet, inside a motor control cabinet (MCC), from outside an MCC (requires a Baker EP1000 (dynamic motor link))
- Designed for rugged site use in tight spaces typical of industrial environments
- AC or battery operation
- Visual confirmation of motor integrity
- Facilitates survey of plant-wide motor efficiency
- Microsoft Windows 7 operating system
ONLINE MOTOR ANALYSIS SYSTEM
- Monitors motor systems for any degradation of performance, poor power quality and adverse load conditions
- Built upon the proven motor system monitoring technologies of the Baker EXP4000 Dynamic Motor Analyser
- Features proprietary data collection mechanisms that are coupled with standardized computer server and network technologies
- Operates with a single voltage measurement connection per voltage bus (up to 7 different voltage busses per single NetEP unit), and current sensors installed for each motor being monitored
- Continuously monitors and analyses more than 120 electrical parameters on up to 32 motors, compares results to user-defined thresholds and generates alerts if these threshold limits are crossed
- Two data acquisition methods are provided: power quality (acquired every ten seconds) and time waveforms (acquired once per hour)
- Tracks motor on/off cycles, determines load mismatches and identifies any adverse load oscillations or overloads
- Generates alerts for environmental factors such as excessive heat on a given motor’s operation
- Enables an organization’s critical motor assets to communicate if and when they are malfunctioning or experiencing a problem that could lead to failures or downtime
- Microsoft Windows 7 operating system
Electric motor QC systems
AUTOMATED STATOR TESTING SYSTEM
- Fully automated, full-spectrum quality control testers for motor manufacturers
- Built to each customer’s specifications using proven, reliable standard components in a cabinet style rack design
- Standard tests include: AC and DC hipot (with micro-arc detection to detect any breakdowns to ground – the only proven method to accurately detect any such faults), surge, inductance, corona and temperature-compensated resistance test capabilities
- Rotation-direction test (optional) for testing stators and field coils
- Configurable with a range of additional test capabilities
- Highly-sensitive computer-controlled testing, analysis and report generation software making testing virtually automatic
- Features a Microsoft Windows 7- based application with an intuitive, menu driven user interface
- Tests manufacturing processes as well as manufactured products
- May be integrated into fully automated lines with automatic fixtures and a PLC (or host computer) communications interface
- Designed for many years of rugged industrial use
- Recalibration may be done on-site with adjustments to software coefficients via a simple menu (and using ISO procedures)
- A high-voltage version of the Baker WinAST – the HV WinAST – is available for conducting tests on low inductance form coils and motor stators of more than 500 kW, or more than 575 V AC.
TRACTION ARMATURE TESTING SYSTEM
- Traction armature quality control test system for motor manufacturing applications
- AC and DC hipot (with micro-arc detection to detect any breakdowns to ground – the only proven method to accurately detect any such faults), surge, bar-to-bar, and temperature-compensated resistance test capabilities
- User-programmable pass/fail limits
- Under 18 minutes to test as many as 200 armature bars (once the system is programmed and set up)
- Easy detection of weld faults (i.e., poor connection between coils and commutator) – the most frequent fault encountered in the manufacturer of armatures – with resistance testing
- System has a rack style cabinet, a computer running Microsoft Windows 7, power supplies and measurement circuitry, and includes an automatic armature indexing stand
- Semi-customized instrument assembled from standard components to the customer’s specifications
Baker Instruments is a leading provider of test equipment for the electrical condition monitoring of motors, generators and coils. Whether you are testing in a motor repair shop, in an industrial plant, on a ship or up a wind turbine, Baker Instruments motor test equipment allows you to fully understand the condition of the motor, the power supply and the load. Comprehensive motor testing allows you to reduce costs and avoid unplanned motor and machine downtime.
Baker have the expertise to fully support our customers with on-site demonstrations of all equipment prior to purchase, product training, application support, calibration and repair.
The business was acquired by Megger from the SKF Group on the 19th August 2018.